Volkswagen Trust Funds - Locomotive and Marine
For the purpose of this category, “Government” means a state or local government agency (including but not limited to a school district, municipality, city, county, special district, joint powers authority or port authority), or a tribal government or native village.
Eligible locomotives include Pre-Tier 4 switch locomotives used to move rail cars around a rail yard and marine vessels with unregulated, Tier 1 or Tier 2 marine engines that are used to move other marine vessels (tugboats) or to transport people, cargo and vehicles (ferries). Government agencies can request up to 75% of the cost to repower or replace their eligible project; private entities can request between 25% and 50% of the cost of their project depending on the type of project.
Program requirements must be followed. Highlights include:
- Switch locomotives must operate a minimum of 1,000 hours per year.
- Switch locomotives must operate a minimum of 50% of the time in Missouri.
- Private entities may request up to 40% of the cost to repower a locomotive, 25% of the cost to replace a locomotive, or 50% of the cost to repower or replace a locomotive with a new all-electric locomotive.
- Marine vessels may only be repowered.
- Marine vessels whose main port is in Missouri must spend a minimum of 25% operation time in or along the Missouri border.
- Marine vessels whose main port is not in Missouri must spend a minimum of 50% operation time in or along the Missouri border.
- Private entities may request up to 40% of the cost to repower a marine vessel, or 50% of the cost to repower a marine vessel with a new all-electric engine.
- Project must meet a minimum of $5 per pound of lifetime NOX reduction.
- Maximum total funding request per applicant is $1 million.