Air Pollution Compliance/Regulatory Assistance
What is considered a small business?
Sections 643.173 and 643.175 (RSMo) were adopted in response to the Clean Air Act amendments. They define a small business as having one or more of the following attributes:
- Employs less than 100 people.
- Emits less than 50 tons of any regulated pollutant per year or less than 75 tons of all regulated pollutants.
- Does not have the potential to emit 10 tons per year of any hazardous air pollutant.
- Does not have the potential to emit 25 tons of any combination of hazardous air pollutants.
- Does not have the potential to emit 100 tons per year of an air contaminant, with or without control devices.
- Meets other definitions as defined by a ruling of the Missouri Air Conservation Commission.
Section 507 of the 1990 Clean Air Amendments requires states to implement a three-component program to assist small business in their efforts to comply with the air regulations. The three components consist of the following:
Small Business Compliance Advisory Committee
In Missouri, the compliance advisory panel is known as the Small Business Compliance Advisory Committee.
- Small Business Ombudsman
- Small Business Technical Assistance
- Small Business Compliance Advisory Committee
- Missouri Business Portal
- Permit Assistant
Technical Assistance Supplied by Air Program
Throughout the department, staff members provide technical assistance for small businesses. The department's regional offices and programs offer multimedia support. In addition, personnel in the Air Pollution Control Program, the Kansas City Regional Office, and the St. Louis Regional Office provide assistance with permits — at a site, by telephone, or through email — to help a facility understand and complete documents required by the Air Conservation Law. For air pollution-related assistance, contact your regional office at 800-361-4827.
To request assistance completing documents required by the Air Conservation Law, contact department personnel at one of the following locations:
Department of Natural Resources
Air Pollution Control Program
P.O. Box 176
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Department of Natural Resources
St. Louis Regional Office
7545 S. Lindbergh Blvd. Suite 210
St. Louis, MO 63125-4839
The Kansas City region position is vacant at this time.
Small Business Links (not related to the air program)
- Missouri Secretary of State Forms and Registration
- Small Business Regulatory Fairness Board
- Small Business Environmental Home Page
Small Business Links (related to the air program)
State of Missouri Sites (including those related to financial assistance)
- Missouri Department of Economic Development
- Missouri Department of Labor and Industrial Relations
- Missouri Department of Revenue, Division of Taxation and Collection
- State of Missouri Home Page
Missouri Laws and Regulations
Federal Laws, Regulations, and Legislation
- EPA Chemical Emergency Preparedness and Prevention Office (Information about the 112(r) Risk Management Program)
- EPA Home Page
- EPA Office of Air and Radiation
- EPA Region 7 Home Page
- EPA Small Business Gateway
- Internal Revenue Service
- Occupational Health and Safety Administration
Small Business Ombudsman
The Small Business Ombudsman position is appointed by the governor, with the advice and consent of the senate for a term of office concurrent with that of the governor, and may be reappointed.
The ombudsman's responsibilities include:
- Advising and assisting small businesses regulated by the Air Conservation Law and related rules.
- Recommending to the Small Business Compliance Advisory Committee and the Missouri Air Conservation Commission appropriate changes in the rules which would facilitate small business compliance with the Air Conservation Law and related rules.
- Receiving and reviewing complaints about the administration of the air regulations as such administration affects small business.
- Issuing a report with recommendations to the Department of Natural Resources within 120 days of receiving a complaint from a small business.
For more information see "Helping Small Businesses Protect Air Quality".
Small Business Ombudsman - vacant