Air Pollution Control Program
What is considered a small business?
Sections 643.173 and 643.175 (RSMo) were adopted in response to the Clean Air Act Amendments and define a small business as follows:
Any small business regulated under this chapter:
- Employs less than 100 people.
- Has actual emissions less than 50 tons of any regulated pollutant per year or less than 75 tons of all regulated pollutants.
- Does not have the potential to emit 10 tons per year or more of any hazardous air pollutant.
- Does not have the potential to emit 25 tons of any combination of hazardous air pollutants.
- Does not have the potential to emit 100 or more tons per year of an air contaminant, with or without control devices.
- Or as otherwise defined by the commission by rule.
Section 507 of the 1990 Clean Air Amendments requires states to implement a three component program to assist small business in their efforts to comply with the air regulations. The three components consist of:
- Technical assistance function to small businesses
- Compliance advisory panel
- Small Business Ombudsman
In Missouri, the compliance advisory panel is known as the Small Business Compliance Advisory Committee.
- Small Business Ombudsman
- Small Business Technical Assistance
- Small Business Compliance Advisory Committee
- Missouri Business Portal
- Permit Assistant
The small business technical assistance activity is performed throughout the department. This multimedia support is provided by the department's regional offices and programs. In addition, personnel in the Air Pollution Control Program, the Kansas City Regional Office and the St. Louis Regional Office provide air pollution permitting assistance, on-site or by phone or email, in helping a facility to understand and complete documents required by the Air Conservation Law. For air pollution-related assistance, contact your Regional Office at 800-361-4827.
Assistance in completing documents required by the Air Conservation Law can be found at the following locations:
|Department of Natural Resources||Department of Natural Resources|
|Air Pollution Control Program||St. Louis Regional Office|
|P.O. Box 176||7545 S. Lindbergh Blvd. Suite 210|
|Jefferson City, MO 65102||St. Louis, MO 63125-4839|
|573-751-4817 Phone||314-416-2960 Phone|
|800-361-4827 Phone||314-416-2970 Fax|
|573-751-2706 Phone||Don Kotur|
The Kansas City region position is vacant at this time.
Small Business Links (not Air Program related)
Small Business Links (Air Program related)
State of Missouri Sites including Financial Assistance
- Missouri Department of Economic Development
- Missouri Department of Labor and Industrial Relations
- Missouri Department of Revenue, Division of Taxation and Collection
- State of Missouri Home Page
State of Missouri Laws and Regulations
Federal Laws, Regulations, and Legislation
- EPA Chemical Emergency Preparedness and Prevention Office (Information about the 112(r) Risk Management Program)
- EPA Home Page
- EPA Office of Air and Radiation
- EPA Region 7 Home Page
- EPA Small Business Gateway
- Internal Revenue Service
- Occupational Health and Safety Administration
The Small Business Ombudsman position is appointed by the governor, with the advice and consent of the senate for a term of office concurrent with that of the governor, and may be reappointed.
The ombudsman's responsibilities include:
- Advising and assisting small businesses regulated by the Air Conservation Law and related rules.
- Recommending to the Small Business Compliance Advisory Committee and the Missouri Air Conservation Commission appropriate changes in the rules which would facilitate small business compliance with the Air Conservation Law and related rules.
- Receiving and reviewing complaints about the administration of the air regulations as such administration affects small business.
- Issuing a report with recommendations to the Department of Natural Resources within 120 days of receiving a complaint from a small business.
For more information see "Helping Small Businesses Protect Air Quality".
Small Business Ombudsman - vacant