Winter Heating - Low Cost Energy Savings Actions
Insutation and Sealing Air Leaks
- Caulk and place weatherstripping on windows and doors that leak air.
- Install switch and outlet gaskets/foam inserts on outer walls.
- Insulate heating ducts that travel through unheated areas of your home such as crawl spaces, attic and garage.
- Seal up areas around plumbing penetrations on outer walls and basement.
- Fill gaps around chimney.
Heating and Ventilation
- Use a programmable thermostat with your furnace to adjust the setting while you sleep or no one is home.
- Replace the furnace filter monthly when dirty.
- Have your furnace inspected and tuned up before the heating season.
- Place heat-resistant radiator reflectors (i.e., aluminum or aluminum foil) between exterior walls and the radiators.
- Install heater jackets for water heater (Do not install if heater has foam insulation).
- Place foam pipe wrap around warm water pipes (Keep wrap 12 inches away from heater top).
- Install plastic on windows.
- Replace conventional light bulbs with efficient compact fluorescent lights (CFL) or light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs.