Summer Cooling - Low Cost Energy Savings Actions
Back to main summer cooling page
Insultation and Sealing Air Leaks
- Caulk and place weatherstripping on windows and doors that leak air.
- Install switch and outlet gaskets/foam inserts outer walls.
- Insulate ducts that travel through areas of your home that are not air conditioned, such as crawl spaces, attic and garage.
- Seal up areas around plumbing penetrations on outer walls and basement.
- Fill gaps around chimney.
Cooling and Ventilation
- Make sure your air conditioner filter is clean. Clean or replace filters as needed. Clogged filters cause the unit to use more energy.
- Consider getting a professional tune-up of your air conditioner to maximize its efficiency.
- Have your furnace and air-conditioner inspected and tuned up before heating and cooling seasons.
- Place heat-resistant radiator reflectors (i.e., aluminum or aluminum foil) between exterior walls and the radiators.
- Replace conventional light bulbs with efficient compact fluorescent lights (CFL) or light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs.
- Consider using task lighting, which focuses light where you will need it, instead of brightly lighting an entire room.
Appliances and Electronics
- Plug home electronics, such as TVs and VCRs, into power strips and turn power strips off when equipment is not in use.